View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Are atheists better poker players than theists?

RJT - [ QUOTE ]
As far as atheist/theist – it certainly depends on the individual. I can see how one might lean towards atheist being a bit more objective. But, I wouldn’t discount the theist and his abilities to observe the intangibles (the table texture for example, or reads on folk in a live game) as a plus. I don’t think either group has a monopoly on things like the intangibles or logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raw initial talent - theist or not isn’t relevant. Essentially the observant, people-focused salesman have a head start. Analytical types usually bypass them later by better overall application but not always.

Doyle Brunson strikes me as an intelligent, observant people-reading competitor, but weaker on analytical skill than DS, for example. There are other personality factors that weigh in at the top level given reasonable skills in both those areas. Non-tilt is one. There are always players at every level that would be relatively awesome if they had a stabilizer bar. Similar with discipline in general. At the upper end of winners, I’d rate discipline in it’s various manifestations as a big factor.

Since there are many roads to atheism, I wouldn’t read too much into the impression we get from the 2+2 forum. It’s doesn’t give us ‘atheist players’ it gives us ‘atheist players that enjoy posting to an analytical web-forum" a self-selecting sample.

I suspect a correlation (not necessarily causation) but not convinced yet.

luckyme,
if I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind