View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Hunting Rabbits at the Commerce: first trip to LA

On a scale of 1 to 100 of "irregularities" (1 being most important) that occur in Los Angeles small no limit games, I'd rate controlling rabit hunting about 98. Generally opponents who rabit hunt are players who you want to play against, and as long as it is done only occasionally and at the end of the hand I wouldn't be that concerned.

That said, some of the games in LA are out of control on the other 99 most improtant things. For example, half the table sometimes appears to be auditioning for Sexton's job on the WPT - they all feel they have the right to speculate about the hand in play. People routinely act out of turn.

Here's an example was from a couple days ago. In a $200 NL game there were a bunch of limpers to me in the small blind. I raise about pot with a big pair, loose player UTG is considering calling but looks left and all five limpers had folded (the problem mostly being caused by seat nine, the second limper who caused the chain reaction). I very politely asked that people take care to act in turn. The players sort of apologized.

About five minutes later I'm watching a big pot. Seat 3 bets into a decent size pot and seat 7 puts in a big raise (both are deep). Naturally there is some verbal speculation about the hand by half the table. Action is on seat 9 who holds his hand so only seat 7 and 8 can see it!!!. This was so over the line I do speak up and get verbally berated by seat 9 (he essentially said I should take my rule book and shove it up my ass). This was an interesting comment considering he is a lawyer by profession. He is also considered one of the "nice guys" at the table by many. I merely replied that this isn't a minor transgression and considering the size of the pot he was out of line. But I let it go, as this is life in LA and I wasn't on home turf.

~ Rick