View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Ability to Predict a Players Skill based on Intelligence.

Let me again post the definition we are using for intellegence:
"The theory suggests that successfully intelligent people are those who have the ability to achieve success according to their own definition of success, within their sociocultural context. They do so by identifying and capitalizing on their strengths, and identifying and correcting or compensating for their weaknesses in order to adapt to, shape, and select environments. Such attunement to the environment uses a balance of analytical, creative, and practical skills. The theory views intelligence as a form of developing competencies, and competencies as forms of developing expertise. In other words, intelligence is modifiable rather than fixed."

Quote:
"If you train in test-taking skills, is your likely much-increased score REALLY proof that you're that much smarter than the next guy who for whatever reason didn't?"

The answer is yes.

Quote:
"Maybe you can do it for only two hours at a stretch, and then your play starts to deteriorate, with or without you noticing or having the honesty to admit it. Maybe a bad beat throws you out the window, along with your intelligence."

Maybe this is why the SAT is 3 hours long. many test takers DO infact go on tilt in the exact way a poker player does.

Quote:

"I think it's the ability to actually apply your intelligence, with great and unfluctuating dicipline, even under stress and in emotionally difficult situations, that matters most in poker."

I believe that dicipline is intellegence. Talk to some intellegent people, and I bet you will find they are extremely diciplined, and most likely have the potential to be a good poker player.