View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Any high stakes guys lurk in here?

[ QUOTE ]
I read BBV and I read hands that these guys post some of which contain pots that equal more than a week's pay to me. I'm not a poor guy but I'm also not rich either, but even if I were I don't know how I'd handle losing an $800 pot on a 3 outer with 1 card to come. Do you have to be born with the blatant disregard for money or is it something you develop from being an action junkie over a long period of time? Also, how much of a hinderance is a regard for money to moving up in limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Money isnt real, at least not in this game. Money are dots on a screen or different colored pieces of clay. Its just another way to keep score, and the right play gets you the highest score.

As you move up in stakes, finding the right decision becomes a more and more complex process. It often requires high-talented individuals thinking very clearly. Worrying about the "cost" of making a play is going to cloud your judgment and cause you to make mistakes. Those more able to not worry about the money are going to perform better.

It also helps that as you move up, your worst swings become larger in terms of dollar amounts, so its not actually that much worse. Furthermore, losing that two thousand dollar pot doesnt seem so bad once youve lose 20K in a week, or even a night.

peace

john nickle