View Single Post
Old 02-15-2004, 07:02 PM

Default Re: did I induce bluffs or miss bets?

Karlson,

I think that raising on the turn is slightly more profitable than waiting until the river. Consider what your opponent may have.

If he is on a flush draw he will call your turn raise and check-fold the river when he doesn't get there. By just calling his turn bet I think that you'll miss a bet on the end (unless you get lucky and he bluff-bets the river).

If your opponent has two big cards (e.g., AQ) he may call you down when you raise the turn and bet the river. But if you just call his turn bet, he will usually not bet the river and he may not call your bet on the end.

If your opponent has an overpair, which appears to be the case, he is likely to call you down if you raise the turn and bet the river. Assuming that you just call his turn bet it is debatable whether he will bet the river or not. The reasons that he may not are that he has got to be suspicious that you have a big pair given the way that you have played (especially your 3-bet preflop), he may check the river hoping to induce a bluff on your part (hoping that you have something like AK), and most importantly, you said he was a little passive (in my experience, a lot of passive players choke on the end and are content to just check-call).

-- Manzanita