View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: How can randomness possibly exist?

[ QUOTE ]
When I think of the universe, I think of the laws of science, and randomness doesn't seem possible to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how scientific investigation works. You pose a hypothesis and then it is tested by experiment.

[ QUOTE ]
Some people may use the double slit experiment to prove randomness exists, but that is simply something we cannot determine, and is not necessarily something that cannot be determined with more knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quantum theory is perhaps the most sucessful theory to date to explain observed phenomena at the small scale. all expeiments to date supprt it, none have disproved. As counterintuitive as it may seem all the evidence to date points ti inherent randomness of certain events at the quantum level

[ QUOTE ]
I think of the universe the same way I think of a computer program. The universe has a set of laws (or algorithms) that determine how the matter that the universe is made up of moves about. Just like an algorithm, someone can look at the "script" of the universe and predict what will happen next.

[/ QUOTE ]
As did scientists until experiments showed classical physics (as you express it) could not explain certain observed phenomena showing this view is incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
However, it is impossible for computers to do anything random.

[/ QUOTE ]
To keep to the poker theme, some sites use quantum random number generators so the hands are in the truist sense, random.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Sure, they can look at a super accurate clock, or use a huge set of predetermined numbers, but that is simply using outside sources to create the illusion of randomness.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right these give the illusion of randomness but the prior example is truly random.

[/ QUOTE ]It doesn't make sense to me that the universe has any tool to possibly create randomness.

[/ QUOTE ]

What should make sense is what is observable. Sense or not all experiments show the deterministic view is false.

[ QUOTE ]
If you fully understand all the laws of the universe, and can map every particle that exists in the universe, then you must also be able to predict what will happen to each one of those particles. I can't think of how this could not be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

quantum mechanics is one, if not the, intellectual achievent to date to explain the points you touch on. It seems you have a genuine interest in the answers to your questions and I would really suggest you look at some introductions to quantum mechanics. EG
http://www.ncsu.edu/felder-public/ke...s/quantum.html

Google throws up lots of sites..that was one that looked interesting and aimed at the "layman" and seemed reasonable read on a quick look.

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I do not believe in free will.

[/ QUOTE ]

i only wanted to answer the physics points!