View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Ed\'s Sept. article

I liked the point about how unlikely it is for a young guy (but really it applies to anybody) is to be grinding it out at poker for 40 years in a row. Which leads to the question: When are you likely to be getting out of the game and what are you going to be doing then?

You have to be making really serious bank to put yourself in a position to not work any more, or even to have a really serious multi-year cushion. I doubt that anybody making merely pretty damn good bank to the tune of say 150k or so a year is going to put themselves in a postion of being able to retire from it, even 10 years down the road.

And quite frankly, what would you guess is the percentage of online players making a living at it right now that are still going to be making a living at it ten years down the road? I'd guess its a pretty small percentage even if you assume the games never get worse.

If you've been full timing it for two years (and how many can say that) you're probably only beginning to get an inkling of what a grind its going to seem like if you're still at it ten years from now. Not to mention 20 or 30.

--Zetack