Thread: The Bible
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Re: The Bible

The point I have made here to protestants is that the very fact of differing interpretations means that there needs to be an authentic interpreter of scripture, and obviously I think that is the Catholic Church. But some interpretations aren't important, i.e. they concern the "details" that David is always criticising some believers for emphasizing too much over the core beliefs. And with the Catholic Church to properly interpret, the the things pertaining to the Kingdom of God are not limited to only those with enough intelligence and a detailed knowledge of scriptural matters.

Regarding talking to a priest, not all catholic priests are fully orthodox in their views, and some go to far the other direction (more catholic than the pope), plus it will likely prove an imposition to have to continually go to someone and ask questions as you read through the bible.

So my suggestion is that you purchase a new bible with footnotes and cross references, and if you really want to be diligent and have a thorough reference, the above mentioned Jermome Commentary. However, I will be happy to answer your questions here as well to the best of my ability using those references, if you want a catholic view.