View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: World Cup Fever

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

He's a freak and could very well go to Germany and have a picnic

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you imagine how many chicks this guy would pick up if only he had straight teeth...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what the point that you're missing is that myself and probably the other posters don't necessarily feel the US deserves a seed or the #8 rank, but that Mexico should not be over the US. This is what I have an issue with.

I think Holland should be seeded, but clearly their absence in '02 explains that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok heres my 2 cents

I don't think the seeds represent the best 8 teams in the world at the moment. But then again who are the best 8 teams right now. Isn't this why we have the WC to determine the best teams in the World.

I don't envy FIFA's job at having to seed teams based on historical results as old as 98 and FIFA rankings which we all know are flawed. Overall once the groups are drawn there are usually fairly even strenghts between groups with a few exceptions. We usually see one group of death and one softish group.

Getting back to the seedings, Brazil aside it's difficult to say how good any of those teams really are at the minute.
The WC is the only time that we see teams from the differing regions playing against eachother in full battle(don't tell me friendlies, they don't count)

Traditionally S.America and Europe have been the heavyweights but we saw in the last WC that that gulf got a lot smaller and various Asian, African and Central American teams performed very well.

So I think the point I'm trying to make is that the seedings are not as important as they once were back when the big teams were lightyears ahead of the rest.