View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Liberal Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Pair,

Don't know much about it. But, regarding the Catholic theologians listed - I've read some Kung, Schillebeeckx, and de Chardin. I think the reference you sight takes a few liberties including them.

RJT

p.s. hope you read my apology regarding my reply to your post and your reply to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did read your reply in that thread RJT and appreciated its sentiments. You actually got me to wondering if I had misrepresented things so I looked around a little more. I myself said that the Jesus Seminar was considered more a radical fringe. I was mistaken if I gave the impression that "Modernist Theology" equates with the conclusions of the Jesus Seminar. After looking around a little I realized that "Liberal Christianity" was the term I really should have been using. According to the link above, Liberal Christianity is a Very loose fitting garment that includes ideas of the Jesus Seminar, as well as at least the methods of Modernist Theologians such as Kung, as well as diverse mixtures of types of theologies. I think it is safe to say there are "many" Liberal Christian theologians and their theologies can be quite diverse.

It was only after I'd read "On Being a Christian" by Kung that I came to realize how much broader Christian thinking can be than what is portrayed by the Evangelicals. I think Liberal Christianity in general broadens those possibilities even further and its appeal in many mainline protestant denominations tells me its dismisal by conservatives is not the slam dunk they make it out to be.

I thought this was an interesting link to work Hans Kung did in council with the World Religions on a Global Ethic.

World Religions - Global Ethic

I'm certainly not an expert on any of this. I guess my main point is that there is a Bigger Picture here.

PairTheBoard