Thread: BOTs
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: PartyGaming (PRTY.L) - 12/8 Trading Update Conf Call

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea how easy it is to program a computer to win at poker. If we're talking about games for any meaningful amount of money I would guess it's hard, but I'm no expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a competent programmer, it's really not that difficult to program a bot to play ABC poker... add on datamining and an opponent modeling module, and you have a strong player, at least at low limits.

[/ QUOTE ]
What kind of low limits are we talking about? And what is the theoretical win rate of these things? I don't know the answers, but I have some conjectures just based on what I know about poker.

I have a hard time believing it's "not that difficult". Have you (or anyone) made one of these bots? I'll play it heads up if you want to test it. I know there was some software available that had various bots. I used it for a bit and the bots definitely weren't great. There was one that was supposed to be nearly unbeatable heads up, which is I guess how bots do best. Anyway, I doubt that whoever made that would call it easy, and I really doubt that those bots could beat a 10 handed game above .5/1 (if that).