View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: An exercise in spew.

The preflop cap is certainly not standard! Against nearly anyone else I wouldn't do it, but the way this guy had been playing just screamed "you wanna raise me, well in your face!" I think I have a huge edge over the range of stuff he might LRR, so my cap is purely for value.

I'm having second thoughts about betting this flop as well, but mainly because we can't bet for protection. The pot is so large that even 22 could call and hope to spike a set, and it is awfully draw heavy. On my side is the fact that it's only 5 handed to the flop (fun fact: there's less than a 20% chance that someone here is on a flush draw). However, a draw isn't a made hand; I can reasonably think that I have the best hand at this point, so a bet for value is probably sound. Waiting for the turn to raise might be a good idea, but that could backfire on me if SB were to lead the turn and MP raised. It's hard to say, really.

Here's the playout:

River: (22.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls $0.50 (All-In), UTG calls, MP calls.

Final Pot: 31 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 6h Qh (straight, ten high).
UTG has Js 8h (straight, jack high).
MP has Qd Tc (two pair, tens and nines).
Hero has Ah Jc (straight, jack high).
Outcome: UTG wins 15.50 BB. Hero wins 15.50 BB. </font>

I made $25 in 15 minutes at this table. Do you see why?