View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 06:52 PM

Default how not to do it, by elysium.

hi everyone,

live 10-20; non-bluffing regulars who like to call a little too much, a few good players, etc.

i have KK in the SB, and raise an 8-way.

the flop comes Q72 monotone none suit. i betout, it's called in 3 spots, the MP raises, and it's cold-called in two spots to me. i fold.

my thinking at the time was that i would need perfect, perfect to win, and that even if the MP didn't have the flush, one of the callers on my left did. added to this was the possibility of the fourth flush card landing on either the turn or the river, and that the calling station type players on my left would not fold with any flush draw if i reraised either on the flop, or a check-raise of the turn.

well, on the showdown, of course my KK would have been good.

in retrospect, i should have put the MP on a raise with the lone A suit at a greater frequency than i initially did. i just didn't think he was making this type a raise enough times to warrant a reraise. what caused me to fold, however, was the large field of calling station types on my right and left, who i thought might be calling with a completed lower flush. and i knew hat the fourth flush card landing would not allow me to foldout any hand that i was trailing. so i folded.

my main mistake, i think, was in betting out. i betout to make the draws pay, but against this many in the field, that was wrong, IMO after the fact. my best chance of taking down this pot would have been to check-raise the A of suit, allowing the A of suit to initiate the action. i just never really thought this one through before, and that thought never occurred to me at the table. now though, that is what i should have done. my betout actually cost me the pot because, while it does make the draws pays, betting out in this spot provides your thinking opponent who likes to get fancy with ammo that backfires on you when he makes a fancy play. it's better to check and wait to see what happens, and that's what i should have done.

all comments appreciated.