View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Even Republicans are calling for an Iraq pullout

[ QUOTE ]
Forgive what may seem like a dumb question, but really isnt...

President Bush and many other prominent Republicans have spoken to the need to ensure stability in Iraq. Maybe I'm being a bit isolationist, but why is it that we need to this?

Do I think that Iraqis should die? No. Do I want peace in the Middle East, even though it hasn't happened in 2000 years? Of course. Do I believe that it is our responsibility to remain in Iraq until that peace is achieved? NO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, unfortunately we invaded Iraq, dissolved their army, and decided to engage in nation building. I hate Bush and was totally against the war, but we do have some responsibility to try to stabilize the country and deliver on our promises.

Now some argue that if we pull our troops out, it will weaken the insurgency because the insurgents use the idea that we are alien occupiers as a recruiting tool. I think this is a risky notion at best.

Fact is Bush and Co. lead us into a terrible, expensive and bloody mess, but you make a mess, you are under some obligation to try to clean it up. Unfortunately the people paying the price are not W, Cheney, and Wolfowitz (they are Chickenhawks who never had the guts to fight themselves, but are good at macho posturing safely from the sidelines), but our soldiers. And that sucks [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Frank