View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: What\'s a good staking deal for WSOP ME 2006?

[ QUOTE ]

2. Of the first 10,000 in winnings, he receives 100% I receive 0%

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? You are doing all of the heavy lifting. He is simply making a business investment.
[ QUOTE ]

3. On every dollar over $10,000 I get 40% and he gets 60%

[/ QUOTE ]
Should be 50/50
[ QUOTE ]

4. I must pay his hotel and food costs for the time he is in Vegas rooting for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a friend? No, he pays his own freight if he wants to look after his investment.

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone out there feel comfortable sharing what their staking arrangements were for the WSOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are too many mixed messages here with you two as friends and business partners.

First, this needs to be dealt with as a business deal. He is banking on your abilities as a poker player to get an ROI. You need to go into the arrangement with the belief that you can provide ROI. If he thinks it is too much of a risk or if you think there is a high probability that you cannot make it, you two should not do a deal.

Since he is only putting up half it is completely unreasonable for him to expect 100% of the first $10K. The first $10K should be split 50/50 so you both recoup your investment. After that you can do 60/40 for him if you feel his $5K contribution is that vital (read: you cannot get in any other way).

Finally, the food, beverage and room requirement is the most un-friendlike thing I have heard in a long time. He may not see it that way but there is no way you should be paying for a spectator to come watch you play. You both should pay your own freight. The exception would be that if he is getting 60% or more, he should pay yours.