View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Is libertarianism at odds with Christianity?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you can be in favor of helping the less fortunate and still be opposed to the government forcing everyone to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding!

Someone else brought up the "render unto ceasar what is ceasar's" quote. I'm no biblical scholar, but couldn't this also be taken to mean that Christians should do their ministry and let government do government stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Interpret" it all you like, Jesus said what he said.

Just because it's politically inconvenient for you doesn't change its meaning or give you the authority to rewrite it to better suit your own political agenda.

I watch people on the right wing do this all the time, though. They claim to be "Christians" -- literally "followers of Christ" -- but whereever Jesus said something that they don't want to submit to, they just "interpret" it to mean whatever their personal politics demands of them.

I find it fascinating that such people still think of themselves as "Christians", since it's clear that when they have to choose between Jesus' actual teachings and their own predispositions, their own predispositions take precedence every time.

q/q