View Single Post
Old 08-17-2005, 07:42 AM

Default Re: So Mad I could spit

[ QUOTE ]
Pays 14 places; 23 left. I'm in 4th on the button

[/ QUOTE ]

It pays 14 places, and you are in 4th? Why bother making such risky moves?

In that position, The only cards I play are AA-QQ and AK. Unless, of course, a tiny stack goes all in... In that case, I call with AA-22, AK-AT, KQ-KJ, QJ, and any suited connecter above a 65.

I think you are missing an important concept in satellites... getting first doesn't matter. 1st through 14th are all the same prize. Nine more people need to bust out, and you basically get first. In this case, even if 15th through 23rd ALL double up, and every one of them moves ahead of you, you are still going to be in the top 14, and more likely, since they are doubling up against at least some of the people higher than you, you will still be in 12th or so. Add to the fact that doubling up still may not put them ahead of you... However, even that is unlikely, and you have to figure about half of them will bust out rather than double up.

There is no reason for the 4th biggest stack to bust out against someone with a huge stack. To be honest, there is no reason for somebody in your position to even play a pot against the top 3 stacks.

Classic case of FPS, if you ask me. (Oooh, let me steal the blinds when I don't need to! Then, let me play aggressively with middle pair on a coordinated board!)