View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Do Christians (or Jews) Need God to see the Future.

[ QUOTE ]
It was already established a long time ago in the thread I started about whether God could make two cubes add up to another cube, that God's omniscience did not mean he could do literally everything. Though some religious people thought otherwise, religious scholars of every make and model, including Not Ready, freely agreed that even God can't do things that amount to contradicting himself. Or something to that effect. Those who thought he could make two cubes add up to a third, simply didn't see that this was a complicated example of the above. But I'm not interested in arguing about that now. Assume it is true for the sake of this discussion.

Anyway on another thread I believe I have come up with an argument similar to "can God build a rock he can't lift?" that is an example of asking God to contradict himself. The argument applies to his ability to perfectly see the future while giving humans AND HIMSELF free will. And unless there is a flaw in the argument, it seems he can't. But I don't want to argue about that either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you don't want to argue these points, however I was surprised that the xtians on this board where unable to defend the all powerfulness of God.

It's really simple when you ask if god can do the impossible. The answer is always yes. Even if there are logical implications and paradoxes.

Can God create an immovable object? Yes is the correct answer.

Can God then move that immovable object? You want to be able to say ah-ha here. But the answer is also yes. So you will be forced to deal with the consequences of a god that doens't have to obey logic.

This may be my weakest point, so don't spend to much time argueing this in a reply. When you pose the question, you state that God exists in the question and therefore no matter how quickly you come across an aparant contridiction. You can't help but contradict yourself. Saying "God exists and [insert logic here] therefore he doesn't"

As far as this whole predestination thing goes. I'm not really sure you are thinking about god in the correct manner, mainly, that he is eternal. He isn't really bounded by time in any direction, and time is of really no consequence to him. For instance god can see all points in time at the same time, and therefore really isn't affecting freewill.

The religions in questions require that god exist outside of time, and it's boundaries. And therefor god can "see the future" as much as god "can see the present" as it makes no real difference to him. Any attempt to limit god in regards to this ability is an attack on his always-existingness. And must be stopped, logic be damned.