View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: I feel like a fish

I think the preflop call is a slightly -EV play. BTW, I think the fact that the table is overaggressive makes it even more -EV. My reasoning is that you aren't going to make very many strong hands that you can extract a lot of bets with (only flushes and two pair and trip fours come to mind). Flopping a naked king is a tricky hand to play, as you want to put pressure on weak draws and extract value when ahead but also want to avoid dumping a lot of chips when you're outkicked and drawing to three outs. I don't think you're getting the right price to come in here, especially if there's any possibility that BB will raise. You're getting 5.25 : .75 = 7 : 1 if BB calls, so you're real odds are a little worse than that. I think the line might be at around K9s - KTs that I would generally call here, a little looser if I was playing with poor postflop players and felt that I had a good read on the table or if button's PF raising standards were looser than normal (a little tighter if the opposite conditions hold). Maybe that's a little tight, but if you're going to turn marginal hands into profitable ones you have to every advantage at your disposal to do so.

The rest of the hand looks good. Sometimes I will lead the flop here. I think it has some deceptive value where I might get an extra bet if the flush or straight hits and sometimes the button will have a weak hand like QJ that he will raise the flop and take a free card with. But check-calling is a good line too.