View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: All you lifters out there, general discussion

It sounds like I have a bit more time than most being a student and transitioning between undergrad/grad, for the last two years I had a girlfriend and totally let myself slide, but this is the routine I used to use, and back to what I've been on for the last two weeks and hopefully the rest of my life:

I lift 5 days a week, normally take 2 days off either together or if one muscle group is particuarly sore, I start with Back and go all the way to biceps (Back>Chest>Shoulders>Tri>Bi ((Large muscles to small) doing 1 group each day. Each day is divided into 3 or 4 different exercises which I rotate every 2 weeks or so, 4 exercises for the big muscles, 3 for the small ones since by then I'm normally maxed out anyway. I change up every 2 weeks since your body is incredibly good at getting used to repititon. So 2 weeks I'll do flat/incline/decline bench, and the next two weeks I'll do free weight flat/incline/decline, things of this nature. This is a 4 - 6 week cycle, afterwards I take a rest for about 1 - 2 weeks where I just do cario and light training (maybe some legs), sort of giving my body time to chill out after also helped cause of finals. I try and do abs 2-3 times a week, depending on how sore they are from the previous time, working from general abs to lower abs. After lifting but before abs I normally do some cardio for about 20 minutes (biking/running in an effort to strengthen my lower body without actually lifting).

As far as the eating goes, if you can eat 6 small meals a day while lifting, it seems to work best from what I hear (and her for me) so that your body has a constant supply of energy. I'll normally do oatmeal for breakfast and a protein shake, then 2-3 hours later I'll eat a small lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and a protein shake before I go to bed. If I go to the gym in the morning I just have a shake... The eating thing is key. A lot of people plateau after a while and it's because they aren't eating enough. I'm currently way overweight from my two year slide so I'm not eating as much and doing more cardio than lifting in an effort to cut some weight.