View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: I want to try something I haven\'t seen yet (network question)

Hi,

as others have suggested, the VLC Media player should serve all your video needs. It is very good. Another option, the K Lite Codec Pack should add support for almost any file format with media player.

Regarding the twin comp pokertracker set up, you sound like you have got there already:
[ QUOTE ]
The GT+ comment gave me an idea, and I'm wondering if this is what you meant: Leave PT where it is (old box), share the stored HH files (new box), point to them in the locate files dialog in PT, install & run GT+ on the new box, pointing to the shared DB on the old box. Yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This should work fine, you can set the old box to update at 1 minute intervals without slowing down your new poker playing computer (I guess this is why you want such a setup - performance). Just set the auto-import path to a network folder, something like "\\new-box\program files\partypoker\hand history\natedog" or wherever the new HHs are getting saved to.

GameTime+ looks a bit of a problem though. There is nowhere to set the path to pokertracker databases in it's preferences, so It will not be easy to run GT+ on a remote database - It seems to use the windows registry to locate available pokertracker databases. With some trickery it should be possible, but my guess is lot/bit of trial & error to run GT+ over a network.

Playerview and the new PlayerStats 2+2 thread seem to be able to this easily, since they both allow you to specify the locations of you PT databases.

GT+ is my favourite, but i do have playerview aswell. Maybe GT+ asks you for the database locations during installation - if it does, i dont remember this bit. If anyone else knows if GT+ can be done with a remote DB, please chime in.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna have to swap out the dual monitor card in the old box, and once I do, I don't plan on having a monitor connected to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I you do this, you would likely need some method to start/stop pokertracker, and view your stats etc. For this i would recommend TightVNC, a remote desktop program. You basically get the old comp's desktop in a window on your new comp, and can use the old comp as if you were in front of it. Windows has some form of remote desktop utility, but I don't know how good this works, or if you even have it. (I don't think you get it with WinXP Home).

Good luck,

Dave.