View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Re: I think in Percentages - Should I change my head to odds??

I used to think primarily in percentages, too, but it would be worthwhile to be able to switch back and forth between odds and percentages. When you are thinking about calling a bet, the pot odds are obvious but the percentages aren't (i.e. calling one big bet into a pot of 6 big bets is obviously 6:1). If you know the chance of making your hand as a percentage, you'll have to convert it to odds to see if you're getting favorable odds from the pot (or you'll have to convert the pot odds to a percentage-- in either case, you'll have to convert one to the other). Since its usually pretty easy to see the pot odds as odds (rather than a percentage), I find it was more natural for me to convert my thinking about the chances of making a hand from percentages to odds than to convert the pot odds to a percentage. I suppose you could alternatively get used to converting the pot odds to percentages and keep the drawing odds in your head as a percentage but, for me, that seems much more difficult. Regardless of which you choose, you need to be able to compare the pot/bet size to the chances of your hand being good-- that's the important thing irrespective of method.