Thread: Tell?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Tell?

Having dyslexia might make this much harder. I completely understand your difficulty, because while I was doing chemo, I noticed sometimes the L's in words were backwards. At first I thought someone had made a mistake on the site I was reading, but then I noticed it again and again. It especially occurred in words where the L was in the middle, and the word could almost be completely flipped and remain the same. I thought I'd lost my mind. But thankfully it went away.

Anyway, the way I learned to memorize cards was from the top rank down in high games, bottom rank up in split or low.

So in O8, this is how I do it. I peek at each card as I receive it (left corner only, very quickly). I say them in order of rank (ace always low), like this: A24J. I repeat them in my head until they are memorized.

If anything is suited, I say the suit after I say the ranks. So like my A24J hand. If the ace was suited, I'd say: A24J, ace spades. I don't bother with the suited side card unless it could make a straight flush (or blocks one).

If I'm double suited, I'll say: A24J, ace spades, jack hearts.

If I'm rainbow, I'll add nothing at the end. If I have three of one suit, I'll say: A24J, ace...three spades.

I have tried looking and memorizing after watching everyone else looks, as I would in HE, but found that I get little from them during the deal, while I get a much greater advantage having them memorized early, then watching my opponents during the actual play of the hand.

Chanting my hand in my head during the deal is easy and takes very little time. I hope this helps.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]