View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Cover Contest: Getting Started in Hold \'em -- Second Try

[ QUOTE ]
In amongst the dodgy submissions will be a few that will have been greated by 2+2'ers who are graphic designers or sufficiently accomplished amateurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps, but speaking for myself, and knowing many many other graphic designers. most will not enter a design competition like this. we design for clients who have seeked us out, or have spoken to us in a more detailed meeting. this is not something i believe can be done by just sitting down for an hour and whipping something out with every photoshop trick you have learned.

thought does actually go into design. and a designer's time is as precious as most everyone else's.

i know when i go into a design project i like to know the scope of the project, the client's complete thoughts, the direction, and take these and other things into consideration.

i want my work to be a success, not only designwise, but for the client. it's sad but it's true, most books are judged by their cover. if there's nothing that sets off this book from any other books, i'm guessing most people will pick up Poker for Dummies. The design is crap, but they have brand recognition, huge distribution, and an author that is attached to a published magazine.

No offense to Ed, because i would most definitly read his work over most, but why should a new player pick up his book? they have no idea who he is. i'm not saying that a great cover design will change this, but it can help. a professional looking book will certainly attract people to pick up the book and check it out, before just grabbing whatever poker book they've found on the shelf somewhere.

well, i'm babbling.