View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Aussie Millions --> San Fran -> NZ -> Australia Trip Help

I won a sat to play in the Aussie Millions in Melbourne on January 15th and would love some suggestions for things to do on my trip with my wife.

We already booked our main flights so here is the timing of the trip:
12/28 Charlottesville to San Fran
1/1 San Fran to Auckland (arrive in Auckland on 1/3 morning)
1/13 Dunedin to Auckland (spend the night in Auckland)
1/14 Auckland to Melbourne (play in the Aussie Millions on 1/15 and then after I win...)
1/22 Melbourne to Sydney
2/2 Sydney to Charlottesville

San Fran : We have friends that live in the Mission District and are going to be staying with them. We have plans on the 31st (Tea Leaf Green concert at the Independent), but if any of the San Fran guys, Beetz, Hakee, Diablo, etc. are around for drinks on 28 to 30, let me know and we can meet up. I have been to San Fran once, but if anyone has suggestions for cool stuff over this time period let me know.

New Zealand: We plan to rent a car or mini camper and drive from Auckland to Denemin. We basically have 10 full days for this trip. My wife and I are into, good local food, wine, and hiking (any outdoor activity pretty much). I am into the hardcore adventure stuff like bungee and high speed boats, my wife is a little less adventurous but would still like to go whale and dolphin watching. If anyone has suggestions for tentative itinerary, or suggestions on places to stay. I imagine this is a busy tourist time of year, so do we need to book hotels in advance or can we just wing it? Also, anyone with experience with the mini-campers? And then suggestions for the night we spend in Auckland before we leave? We are also huge Lord of the Rings fans fwiw.

Australia Unfortunately Party P*k** screws you and includes an 8 night stay in Melbourne in the package, regardless if you get knocked out on the first day or not. So suggestions on things do in and around Melbourne for an extended visit would be great. Do we need a rental car? Also, things to do for my wife while I am playing would be great.
Right now we have a flight booked to Sydney on 1/22 and leave to head home on 2/2. We would like to spend sometime in Sydney, but then also going to areas near there, that might involve more flights (Great Barrier Reef, etc.). My wife and I love snorkeling. I have been scuba diving once and might be interested in doing that as well. Suggestions on trips to take from Sydney and the best way to get there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil