View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Calling an over-bet with A-high?

JMP- "Also, I'll probably get flak for playing the hand as I did (as my posts normally do). Villian was not a complete idiot; he would shut down to aggression. However, for whatever reason, he was perfectly happy with hanging himself when he was the aggressor."

Maybe raising is better, but at the time, with his range being so wide I wanted him to a) continue betting with a worse draw and not shut him out from making a 2nd best hand and b) not have the chance the blow me off my hand w/ a reraise. I thought his flop bet could have been a wide range of hands. His turn bet seemed to narrow it down (in my mind) to either a draw or a draw + very weakish hand. That was my reasoning for not raising the flop. I think there is probably merit in raising the turn (expecting a fold) although the river could potentially be difficult to play.

Aces- If I think there is a chance that it could raise my longterm wr, I do.

Billy- I would agree with your assesment if Villian was a normal bad player. However this was Captain FPS (while playing I mused that perhaps he was a bigger player who was trying to get better at LAG style and playing below his stakes. He understood his NL concepts, he just thought that he was playing in the big game every hand). I had shown little interest in the hand (aside from some sort of draw or uber-strong hand that was not afraid of either of the FDs on the turn). I didn't see him expecting to be paid off by an overbet... Also, erin ness is perfect, red "X", or not.