View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Cover Contest: Getting Started in Hold \'em -- Second Try

[ QUOTE ]
is this a book cover design competition or a cheeziest photoshop effects competition.

seriously this competition is a terrible idea.

my advide to you, being a graphic designer. go hire yourself a real designer. if not even a newish designer that will cost less to save yourself money, as you are mostly obviously doing. you can also find designers who play poker in las vegas, that may be willing to do a work for trade. even going to a local college or university and fing a design class to work on this project with you. with their professor's help they should be able to produce a better quality design.

using artwork from non designers will most likely end up in disaster. a stolen image that you can and will most likely be sued over. an image that is of too low quality to print well (this in my mind includes images from digital cameras set to high resolution). the man hours wasted trying to figure out wrong file formats, files set up in the wrong appications, using wrong color models, files without bleeds. files without the include fonts. etc. etc. etc.

if you are at all serious about trying to produce quality products you will hire yourself a real designer. no offense to the many people who have photoshop and have submitted designs.

products that look like they're low quality will be considered low quality.

i beg of you mason, hire a practicing graphic designer that knows the publication industry, or at the very least, look into the other options i have suggested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen their other book covers? No offense - they're endearing, but I don't think how the cover looks is their upmost of concerns.