View Single Post
Old 04-13-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: I was going to bluff, but he beat me to it...

[ QUOTE ]
Good assumption that I could have bluffed if the board hadn't paired?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad Assumption. I tried all of these ritzy plays a few months ago, bluffing when the river made a flush and paired the board. check/calling the whole way down and making a decent sized bet/raise on the river. Reraising all in after the bottom card paired as if I was calling someone down with bottom pair etc...people catch on, it cost me 1000s at 2/4 and 5/10. Do NOT bluff online. There is really no point when it's easy enough to win by just playing better/smarter than others. You have to have a very good read on an opponent (lots of PT data and observation of 100s of hands played) in order to have pure bluffs work properly, or at least I do. This isn't a steadfast rule, just what's been working for me, I would save bluffing for higher limits/higher caliber players/live play.

I bluff a lot less, play a lot more like a nit and so far it seems to be working, decisions are easier, and I don't find myself stuck so much etc. I still semi-bluff like it's my job on the flop/turn, but no more flat out bluffs. Before I was always trying to outplay everyone, it works in the beginning but then people realize you can't have the goods everyhand, you can't outplay every player everytime you are in a hand, I had to force myself to stop doing it. It got so bad that I made a list of things I am not allowed to do online and I have it stickied right on my monitor. A form of discipline since I lacked any before online. Try it out.