View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Armchair Psychiatrist needed: managing mood swings & tilt factor?

[ QUOTE ]
I have always considered myself fairly emotionally "evolved". I would love to hear why you assume that I am not "emotionally mature". (no disrespect intended)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah...maybe because it takes you "several days" to feel stable after taking some bad beats, whereas I assume that most mature adults get over it, in like, minutes.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this is where everything allegedly breaks down, perhaps. I am not steaming because "I can't believe he cracked my AA with that T8o garbage!". I am actually often steaming because of a dispute with a family member, or difficulty with various other relationships....There is plenty of other stuff that sets me off on a daily basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

If "plenty of other stuff" is setting you off on a daily basis, then you obviously have poor frustration tolerance, which can also be a sign of emotional immaturity. What do you think you should try to do about this?

[ QUOTE ]
I know I need to regulate some of these problems, before I sit down and play some serious poker. But, I play poker, to kinda forget about my problems for a while... It is a catch-22. I think things will sort themselves out eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, so these problems will just sort of go away on their own...interesting...

[ QUOTE ]
But in the meantime, how do I just check my problems at the door? This is the issue, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not really.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I was vague in my original post, or I just didn't know at the time. But, when I start steaming about a particular hand, I am really steaming about my [censored] roommate that is trying to ruin my life, or some other problem. Do you get my drift?

[/ QUOTE ]

Loud and clear.

[ QUOTE ]
I know you mean well with the good advice, but it is really too much of a "cookie cutter" advice. I am starting to wonder more and more about the "pills" that was suggested by zuluking. What is your professional advice about the "pills"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe instead of asking for advice from strangers, and then becoming defensive when you don't like what you hear, you could make an appointment in person with a professional, who will take the time so that the two of you can figure out what the problems are and what possible solutions/treatments might be appropriate.

Good luck to you.

chesspain.