View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Rank these albums

OK. I've now listened to the albums in this order:

First I listened to The Go! Team. I didn't really get why everyone loved it so much on the first listen. So I listened to it again and agree that it is pretty damn good. I'm not quite convinced that it's great yet, but we'll see after a few more listens. There's definitely a lot of good stuff here. I especially like Ladyflash, Bottle Rocket, and Huddle Formation.

Those of you who love this album should check out Bran Van 3000. 1998's Glee is one of my favorite albums ever. 2001's Discosis is pretty cool too.

Next I listened to Arcade Fire. I liked this album a lot. The song currently on the radio, Rebellion, is really good and very catchy. I don't think this album is as great and revolutionary as others here seem to feel. Definitely good, but a ways from great, IMO.

Then I put in Bloc Party. Boy, was I disappointed here. Based on reviews I read, out of the list of albums this was probably the style of music I'm most likely to like. And I liked the album just fine. But it did not seem very original or creative at all.

White Stripes were next. Man, I really love this album. As usual, really diverse and unique while maintaining that distinctive White Stripes feel. Take, Take, Take and I'm Lonely are my two favorites.

So the ranking for me of these four is:

White Stripes
The Go! Team
Arcade Fire
Bloc Party