View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: The evolution of the mid-high stakes forum

Hi gambler,

Despite your kind words on part of my post, I get the impression that you consider the idea of a mixed strategy to be rather theoretical and not of much practical value. I'd like to point out that doing this:

[ QUOTE ]
Some turn bluff raises, some flop draw caps, etc, find their exploitable strategies

[/ QUOTE ]

is just a more hand wavy way of saying that you would employ a mixed strategy of sometimes raising and sometimes calling with the same hand in the same spot. All I'm saying is that we should start addressing these critical ideas more precisely, by trying to figure out how often you should cap a draw HU, how often you bluff raise the turn, etc. We should start putting these numbers on specific boards, with particular textures and given actions, against particular known opponents.

[ QUOTE ]
... watching if they fold the river for 1 bet in sitations, or fold to turn raises ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you don't mean that you'll either always raise the turn or never raise the turn, right? Welcome to the land of mixed strategy, where {20, 60, 20} is a perfectly legitimate answer and may be clearly better than any of {100, 0, 0}, {0, 100, 0}, or {0, 0, 100}.

I think we all understand this intuitively and mix up our play accordingly, but we don't ever talk about here. Doesn't anybody think that those changeup plays we all just make on our own intuition deserve any recognition? How often should we make them. On what boards? Against what opponents?

So often the changeup is the most interesting part of the hand, but we blow by it and just say, eh, let's not talk about the preflop. I was mixing up my play. Now, about that turn decision... tell me the answer. Call, raise, or fold?

-Eric