View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Pls check my stats - (somewhat long and almost emotional)

Please, A short rant before I move to the actual business [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I can't believe I keep on losing hour after hour, day after day, in this Omaha Hi Low Limit game. I have read Zee's book over and over again, am usually the tightest or 2nd tightest player at the table, and am aggressive when I have a hand.

3441 hands
-2.17 BB's/100 (limits between 1/2-4/8, mainly 3/6)
VP$IP 16.4
from SB 22.5
PFR% 4.0
Flop agg 1.4
Turn agg 1.0
River agg 0.88
Won% when saw flop 27.5%
Won at Showdown 65%

I would appreciate ANY comments, a lot! First a few points from myself:

1. Yes this is only 3224 hands, but the variance is small, and I find myself losing money to blinds and busted hands so slowly and surely it feels like it's unavoidable. Every time I check my PT stats during play I lost another $10-20 (I 3-table). Scoops come so rarely that although they boost the stats up, it only lasts for a while, then the blinds and lost hands have destroyed the results again.

2. I think I could be too tight, at least I see many winning players at 20%+.. However, this shouldn't make me a LOSING player, right? I could be missing some marginally profitable situations, but this level of tightness should still be allright. After all didn't Ray Zee say something along the lines (in his book) that "you'll do fine when you're tightest player at the table" ..

3. The latest leak I noticed was that I was chasing low-only in pots that were too small. After all it's only 16 outs for only half a pot and you might get quartered or counterfeited. I've fixed this but it's not (yet) showing in the results.

4. Preflop raising.. Well, since I'm often the tightest player I tend to raise with the hands I play with (especially from position and/or when mostly "loose" players are in the hand). After all, I need to get the max value out of the good preflop hands.

5. Post flop. Something must be wrong here, but I don't know what.. Anyone? Well, I'm aggressive when I have a hand. I'm aware of the concepts like when to drive other players out from the pot with raises and cr's, and when to keep them calling to build a bigger pot. I don't draw to non nut hands in multiway pots that include good solid players. Against fish I try to drive out other players by check raising with 2 pair, for example. The biggest problem post flop is that I don't know what the problem is. If I knew, I could find measures to fix it.

6. Win rate and fine tuning. Lastly, I believe that Omaha/8 can be a very profitable game.. My game needs fine tuning, but I can't be VERY FAR from solid winning play.. After all, I am tight, follow Zee's advice and tend to study my game.. So what amazes me is that even if there is something wrong with my game and I am thus not crushing it, I believe I should at least be BARELY winning, not losing here. After all, there are usually 3-4 players at the table who see 40+% of the flops and draw to 5th best lows..

One more thing, I ENJOY this game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd like to win at it, too. Bankroll is not a problem, but I cannot accept these losing sessions for very long since I have other poker games that are profitable.. I've tried PLO8, too, and there the results are definitely positive, but I want to develop my limit game.