View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Value of positions in football?

I mean, it's obviously a pretty difficult question to answer, and of course it's going to depend on the team and scheme.

It's a chicken vs. egg type of thing. The chargers are going to utilize the TE a lot in their passing scheme because of Gates. But which came first, Gates, or the scheme? How much of Gates' success is based on their scheme? Personally, I can't answer that, because I don't follow the Chargers closely. But the point is that these rankings are going to vary a lot based on the team.

The Eagles, for example, are my favorite team and I follow them very closely. For them, the QB is extra important because they pass so much. The FS is very important because it's Dawkins and he is all over the place doing a myriad of things. The OLB are less important, because their safeties often cover the TE. Their TE is important because they throw to the TE a lot, their WR are less important because they throw to the TE/RB a lot. Their CB are super important because of their blitz schemes.

It's going to vary a lot. I think I did a pretty good job for an overall outline.

And to put it bluntly, your suggestion about corners and safeties is just way off base. Corners can move to safety as they get older and slower, the opposite never happens. Corners are faster and more athletic, they are more responsible for the recievers, and they are more important. Also, look at how many corners go in the first round of the draft. Now look at how many safeties do. I'll help you out. In the 2005 NFL draft, five corners went in the first round against one safety. Corner is by far the more important position.