View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 09:07 AM

Default A couple marginal hands...how should I play them?

I'm in the midst of a downswing (my first long extended one), and I've noticed a major leak. It doesn't show when things are running well because my marginal hands improve to good hands, or the hands I'm up against don't improve against me. But when the draws don't come and the opponents suck everything out on me, I notice that I'm leaking tons of money on these plays (obviously, I'm leaking money even when I'm running well...just didn't notice it as much).

So, a couple of hands from a recent session to demonstrate what I'm talking about, and hopefully generate some discussion on how these hands should be played. Since I never seem to post any really interesting hands, I'm pretty sure that means I'm not even good enough yet to notice an interesting hand when I play one. This is not a good thing. Hopefully these aren't stupid hands.

Hand 1: SB is reasonable so far. Played a few pots showed only one hand down where he cold called a turn raise with second pair.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Ok, I'm opening the pot with a crappy little offsuit broadway. Raise it up and see what happens.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero folds.

Well, I should likely figure that one of the blinds has an ace to defend their blind, but I take a shot
figuring if they don't they'll fold. I get raised and bail. I'm pretty certain the fold is good, but
was the bet just spewing in this smallish pot?

Hand 2: Again, BB hasn't played many hands. Been aggressive from the button once before. Made laydowns to bets on the flop and turn.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Ok, time to open another playable hand from MP. When I did this I thought perhaps this was one seat too early (would rather do it from late MP on), but the table was kind of tight (a little later I stole the blinds from the button and co on successive hands) so I thought I could get it to the blinds without a call anyway.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Ok, here I go spewing chips again?

Turn: (3.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 3.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Ad 4h (high card, ace).
MP2 doesn't show.
Hero has Qs 9s (high card, queen).
Outcome: BB wins 3.25 BB. </font>

I was in check/fold mode from the turn on without improvement. Should I take another shot (like when the third heart falls on the turn) or would that just be continued spewage?