View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: One year ago today, I...

About a year ago today
It became obvious that I could no longer afford to play recreationally with my daughter starting college. While at the same time reaching my, since sustained, pinnacle of having to play this game I love.

Moved from UB to PP with a handsome 10 buy-in bankroll, determined to ‘start being good now’ – despite not a clue as what that meant or how to do so. Oblivious to short-handed/chipped theorems, finding all the pushing ridiculous, I moved to PS where I could still min-raise with pretty big cards.

Found 2p2 in January, performing random Google searches at work. I was truly inspired and humbled with what I found. A poker community existing on a plane that was completely incomprehensible to me at the time. One of those – not knowing what was missing until it was found moments.

Just knowing that there was a mean to get to the end was all it took. During the almost four months it took me to find the courage to post, I was reaching a point in my development where thoughts of where to find my next deposit were no more.

Playing just a couple hours at night, I have been able to effectively give myself a 20% pay raise this year. Fully funding my daughters education, my golf addiction, and much more.

Equal to the monetary gains have been the friendships I’ve made (Yugo included!). Though I won’t be meeting my first 2p2’er until February, this forum has been an invaluable social outlet for me. My poker time is now much more than clicking buttons from the couch after dark. My youngest is quite impressed that I have 20 or so people in my AIM buddy list – pretty cool for a 39 year old, or so she says [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Next year? Continued learning, continued friendships…maybe a 30% pay raise!