View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Why Two Dimes Data Is Wrong (Continued...)

Hi Phil - While I was writing my last response to you, you posted a new one.

[ QUOTE ]
Here it is in black and white:

Hero with a 25% high draw to scoop nets $80 or loses $24
Hero with a 50% low draw to split nets $28 or loses $24.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Change "high" to "scoop" and I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
High:
Net: $2 per hand.

Low
Hi Phil - While I was writing my last response to you, you posted a new one.

[ QUOTE ]
Here it is in black and white:

Hero with a 25% high draw to scoop nets $80 or loses $24
Hero with a 50% low draw to split nets $28 or loses $24.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
High:

Low

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Each, individual hand is identical in EV. However, if you wish to lower your variance, the low draw is a better option with the same EV. The variance associated with the high hand is more because you win only half as often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I think I understand what you have written. Very clear.

[ QUOTE ]
As I said previously this assumes that all the money goes in on the turn, as stated in the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, there's the rub. I'm primarily interested in how to reconcile winning fractional pots with scooping. I understand that in a simulation, with a given number of deals, winning half the pot twice is equivalent to winning a quarter of the pot four times. Similarly, I understand that each is the equivalent of scooping one time.

We're writing about two different things here. I didn't originally make that very clear and that's entirely my fault. I'm sincerely sorry for that.

But in any event, playing a starting hand with the potential to scoop one time in four seems superior to playing a hand with the potential to win half the pot one time in two.

I think it's misleading if you simply add S (the number of scoops in 10000 runs) H/2 (the number of half pot wins in 10000 runs divided by two), Q/4, (the number of quarter pot wins in 10000 runs divided by four), etc. to get a total.

(All pots being equal in terms of what your opponents contribute), I continue to think scooping one time is better than winning half the pot two times.

So I have a dilemma, and I don't know how to resolve it. Wilson doesn't add the sub-totals for high to the sub-totals for low to the sub-totals for scoops. Wilson just gives the data in three columns. It doesn't seem quite correct to me to simply add together the sub totals. That's what I'm doing, but just because I don't know how to do it any better. But doing that doesn't jibe.

Buzz