View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Learning to think on the fly -- a test

[ QUOTE ]

Scenario 1

Villain is generally tight preflop. He tends to reach a "decision point" early in hands and does not fold a made hand very often on the turn or the river unless the board is very scary. He is generally sensitive to pot odds, etc. He is capable of bluffing and playing aggressively if he senses weakness. He is a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea what kind of hand Villain has - I am seen as aggressive - so thinking player might put me on some kind of steal here - I am OOP - but have hit a great flop.
options
1) check - I have likely the best hand now - if I check it has to be to checkraise - so if Villain checks behind its a disaster - giving hm possibly a free card to a diamond flush or a straight.

ii) bet - this gets money in the pot and as I'm sure I'm ahead I need to bet. this also gives me info as to the strength of Villains hand if he calls..

iii) fold - er no.

I have to bet here so I am going for a PSB. If Villain has nothing I take the pot now - if he calls then I can start narrowing down his hand range. If he reraises I'd call and reevaluate the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

Scenario 2

Villain is a weak, but not wild, player. He calls and folds too much on all streets, and does not raise frequently enough. He is not tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm favouring a half pot raise here - figuring that a PSB will usually fold this player and I want more of his money in the pot. Will call any reraise barring a push and reevaluate on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

Scenario 3

Villain is a big LAG. He has more guts than judgment. He plays too many hands. He bluffs too often and in bad spots, but he is good at picking off bluffs by opponents. He is capable of folding if he feels he is beat, but he is also capable of betting/raising all-in with the nuts, air, or something in between. He can be tricky at times and is difficult to put on a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

check/raise. Villain is almost certain to bet on this flop given his image and can hold any 2. I'd like to see a PSB from him after I check which I plan on raising to ~1/3 of his stack. push a friendly turn if called c/c scary cards