View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Turn action

[ QUOTE ]
Game is 10-20 NL, 4 handed. Villain in the BB has $2600. You have him covered.

Preflop

Folded to you in the SB. You make it $75 to go in the SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain calls.

Flop

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Scenario 3

Villain is a big LAG. He has more guts than judgment. He plays too many hands. He bluffs too often and in bad spots, but he is good at picking off bluffs by opponents. He is capable of folding if he feels he is beat, but he is also capable of betting/raising all-in with the nuts, air, or something in between. He can be tricky at times and is difficult to put on a hand.

Assume you bet the pot on the flop and Villain calls.

Pot size is now $480. You each have $2360 behind. Turn card is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Now what? One thing to consider is whether this card is a brick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our turn action against Scenario 3 Villain is the most interesting to me. Here's why: it is possible that this Villain holds a 3 in his hand, giving him a near lock against us (we have 4 outs); but, it is also possible that this Villain will try to represent having a 3 in his hand a decent portion of the time.

Against a player like the Scenario 3 Villain, top two pair is a great hand that I am willing to play for my stack. I think the 3 on the turn makes us (due to Villain's propensity for bluffing) as often as it breaks us.

Although I'd really enjoy making a weak turn lead and hoping to get raised, I cannot advocate this line because Villain may have a real draw that we would be pricing in with a weak (1/3-1/2 pot) lead.

Therefore, against Scenario 3 Villain, I lead the turn for $400.

If raised on the turn by Scenario 3 Villain, I happily push for the rest of my chips because they're going in anyway and I'd rather have them in when I'm probably ahead.