View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: to live or not to live (the lesser of two evils)--kind of long

[ QUOTE ]
so the question is do you sit and watch a person that you love suffer till their death or do you pull the plug on them? i am asking (sorry if it has been asked before) b/c i honestly don't know how to feel in this situation and either way feels [censored] up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather a loved one die than suffer the rest of their life in unimaginable pain. I had to euthanize my dog a few months ago because he was suffering from terminal bone cancer. He had a hard time moving around and was slowly becoming unable to do all the things that make life worth living. I decided it was selfish for me to force him to keep on living when he could die with peace and dignity.

A month later, my grandmother broke her hip and after various complications(she was already suffering from multiple serious illnesses) she was placed in hospice. Instead of allowing her to die with dignity, she was maintained in a semi-vegitative state for weeks after she had already made her peace with her loved ones and clearly passed the point of no return. This type of unnatural life prolonging does nothing but cause suffering for all involved.