View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: So I just lost 30K......

[ QUOTE ]

Pretty lame how he's making a post asking about variance and losing streaks and being forced to defend his play.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty common for a losing player to blame his losses on variance and bad-luck.

Just taking him for his word that he 'knows what he's doing' just because he says so is a mistake.
Far more losing streaks are due to inferior play than many players are willing to admit.

Many players are heard to say that they are 'really good' at poker but they just went through the most awful losing streak and string of bad-beats imaginable.
Many of these players would be wise to admit that they were playing above their bankroll and that they probably aren't as good at poker as they thought they were.
They make plays that they think are obvious or 'automatic' when they are not even close to 'automatic' and are sometimes plain wrong.

It's just self-denial.

Jonny admits that his play is flawed at times...but also just points to various bad-beats as the reason why he's losing so much. And I think that pointing to all of one's bad-beats instead of taking a long, hard look at one's own play is the unhealthy way to go.

as far as the 'variance' part of his questions go. I think he's received several responses that dropping 15 buy-in's isn't as impossible or uncommon as he might have thought...and that if he wasn't prepared for the possibility of a $30k drop he shouldn't have been playing that high to begin with.

In short: It's hard to have much patience for the wide variety of players who say, "I'm a good player. I really really am. But I'm super-duper unlucky. But I know that I know what I'm doing."
It comes up over and over and over again.

Personally, I'm on a down-swing myself right now.
And I just seem to be the opposite of the typical mind-set. My immediate reaction to even a mild downswing is, "I'm pretty damned lousy at poker. I really could have saved a bet if I played that hand better" etc etc.