View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: \"So I 3-bet to find out where I stood...\"

Good post. I hope this isn't in response to the AK hand below where I suggested raising the turn. I wasn't suggesting raising for information.
[ QUOTE ]
Raising on the flop is almost never a "cheap" way to get information that will "save you money" on later streets. The information is far too unreliable. "Cheap" often means paying four bets to see a turn card that should have only cost one or two. "Saving you money" often ends up meaning making bad folds in big pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember a thread a while back where someone suggested raising on the flop for information in a multiway pot. I couldn't see how you could get any reliable information by doing that.

There is a thing called diasnosticity of information. When you raise a predictable player the information you get is diagnostic. You can be sure what his reaction represents. Most players call too much and don't raise enough so you don't really get diagnostic information when you raise.

I also think it is funny when I see players call on the river "for information". They are paying for information that they can easily get for free.