View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: David Sklansky\'s 2-7 lowball math wrong and so is pokenum\'s

I can verify SumZero's calculations. David made an error when the Hero wins when pairing the 4 or the 5.

Pairing the 4: There are 3 cards that hero can draw to win if the villain draws one of the two remaining 6s or 7s (6 cards). 3x6=18, not 12 as is shown in the numerator of David's calculation.

Pairing the 5: There are 3 cards that hero can draw to win if the villain draws one of the two remaining 6s or 7s (6 cards). 3x6=18, not 12 as is shown in the numerator of David's calculation.

Therefore the total chances of 5234x winning against 2367x is 995/1892, which makes 5234x a 995-to-897 underdog.

Math is not my strong point, please someone correct me if my calculations are shown to be in error. On a related note, I am very happy David chose to use this subject as I have been struggling with Triple Draw 2-7 calculations for some time now. I hope either David or another poster can revisit this subject with three or two draws remaining... that would be fascinating.

PS: Personally I didn't find this conclusion surprising at all, any thinking who has spent enough hours playing this game should know the outcome of this draw instinctively... but its still great none the less to finally see the math of the problem worked out. What did surprise me was the size of the underdog status that 2345x held.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]