View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Re: hitting a downswing when taking a shot at moving up

This happened to me in reverse recently, started at .5/1 and worked my way up to 2/4, then I dipped into the roll for a new monitor as I was getting headaches with old one. This forced me to drop to 1/2 where i immediately started to get killed bad beat after bad beat, I lost half of my remaining roll. I took a couple weeks off as i was pretty sure my play was shot from fear at this point. I took a long look at my play before coming back and starting with .5/1 with a slightly different game, a little tighter pre-flop ( 15%vpip as opposed to my old 20% ) and became a lot more aggressive. First day i got killed for the first couple of hours, didnt matter what I had the other guy would hit his miracle river, but I managed to hold it together and after another 4 hours or so I finished well up on the day.

Now I'm playing .5/1 again and looking at a good bit of work to get back where I was..... but I'm certain that I'm a tougher player now following the long look I took over those 2 weeks without play. I actually find myself grateful that it happened when it did rather than when I'd progressed further up the levels.