View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 03:29 PM

Default OT: A football puzzle

In honor of the NFL season starting this past weekend, may I present a quiz. Yes, it's way off-topic, but it does call on your analytical problem-solving skills, which puts it slightly back on-topic. Here it goes:

You go to a football game and you are late arriving. The game has already started, but assume you have absolutely no idea of knowing how long it has been going (i.e. the scoreboard clock is broken and it doesn't say which quarter the game is in either). You get a beer and a hot dog and take your seat. You look up at the scoreboard. What is the strangest score you could see? Yes, I know "strangest" is vaguely defined, but that's kind of the point (like poker, this question is also a game of incomplete information). For example, if the scoreboard said 7-0, that wouldn't be very strange at a football game. If it said 22-18, that would be considerably more strange. What score would be about the most strange?

No cheating...think about your answer before scrolling down to look at other responses. BTW, this is a great prop to win $$ from friends.

--Zen