View Single Post
Old 07-31-2003, 04:42 PM

Default Results/Thoughts

I certainly wasn't consider raising, so if I call I only need to be right 2 times in 7. The thing is, I know he's a sophisticated player, and I think he's using the following line of reasoning. Checked to me on a nothing board, he thinks I'll bet pot last to act with any 8 or any house. When it's checked to me again on a nothing turn he thinks it's an obvious spot for me to pick up the pot, and he has to think that his call looks suspicious to me. The river blanks off and he now leads out 60, which I think he thinks I'll see as a slowplayed monster afraid I'll check behind. For all I know at that point, he called the turn with nothing intending to bet the river 100% of the time. And the thing is, there are no straights or flushes possible, and I have TPTK, so the only things that beat me are an 8 and a house (and KJ I guess). Just as he can't give me a big hand, I'd be shocked if he checked twice with a hand given how aggressive he is. He bets enough random stuff that there's no deception necessary when he actually has something. And again, I only need to win 2 times in 7, so I call.

He turns over T9xx with two diamonds for a flush draw on the turn and just a straight draw on the river, and I beat his ten high with my pair of kings. I'm quite plased with this call, mainly because I think I got to one level of thinking higher than him. Then again, I could very well be losing that call 90% of the time, but I do think this is an instructive hand for different levels of thinking in big bet poker.