View Single Post
Old 07-30-2003, 09:17 PM

Default knowing your opponent, a 5/5 PLO hand

5/5 PLO. I have about 700 in my stack when the following hand comes up. 3 limpers to me and I limp on the button with AKxx (I simply don't remember what the other two cards were or the suits, since they didn't matter in the hand). Blinds check and we take the flop 6-handed with 30 in the pot.

Flop comes 883r. Checked around. Turn is a king putting a two-flush on the board. Checked to me and I bet 30. My thinking is that this will work close to half the time, and I suspect my hand might even be best given that everyone else has checked twice. Anyway, this is not the interesting decision. Folded to the player on my immediate right who calls. Now here's the interesting part.

River comes an offsuit jack making the board KJ883 with no flush possible, and my opponent leads out 60 (2/3 of the pot). What do I do? This is of course a matter of knowing your opponent, and I've played with this particular guy a number of times. Being from Europe, he is a fairly good big bet player and a terrible limit player. He is quite aggressive, a reasonably good hand-reader, too loose pre-flop. He bluffs frequently (although he's rarely caught... I just know because he shows some of his bluffs), he makes good value bets, and he'll commit all his chips with hands a hair too weak. I'm not sure what he thinks of me, but so far he's never seen me show down a PLO hand that was not the nuts, although he has seen me make big moves with weak hands in Hold'em. So, what do you think?