View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Good Question For Catholics and Others

[ QUOTE ]
Why is almost everyone ignoring my question? I am simply asking whether you would believe a respected Pope who claimed he did a miracle given the feat could be duplicated by non miraculous, albeit very sophisticated, means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first example was not only of the Pope claiming it, but of the astonishing event being witnessed by those in person and watching on TV.

One difficulty I would have with actually providing an answer to your question, is that ALL possible explanations (including even that of a charlatan Grand Magician Pope), would just appear extremely unlikely. It's harder to pick between a bunch of extremely unlikely explanations, than it would be to choose if even one of the explanations were moderately likely. Even though one might assign some ranking of likelihoods, it's still hard since all choices are just so implausible.

Minuscule probabilities can sometimes be hard to differentiate for real-world purposes, so looking for as-yet-unthought-of explanations might assume an additional importance. If all explanations are terribly unlikely, maybe there is an explanation nobody has thought of yet, so spending some time mulling along those lines and trying to gather any additional related information, no matter how seemingly insignificant, might be useful.

So maybe it's a bit of a copout, but I'd feel a lot better if I had the exact information of the event to go on in real life: having seen it on TV, watching reruns for any odd moves by the Pope, maybe getting a clue by the "type" of miracle performed, etc.--when dealing with something truly baffling, every little clue might help, and potentially might help a lot.

However, I would place the probability of a genuine miracle by God LOWER than some of the other potential explanations which I listed in my other post (such as a freak physical phenomena like "spontaneous combustion", if it exists, or a strange instance of super-telekinetic power, if it exists), or even the Pope doing an elaborate magic trick.