View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: What do you think about this quote?

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'm saying the majority of them don't pay taxes. And it is the point. If these were people with well-paying jobs, they'd have money for other kinds of accomodations and wouldn't be sitting in the Astrodome. The people are being helped. I'm sorry for their loss and everything bad that has happened to them, but when you don't take care of yourself, you are afforded what other people offer you as charity.

[/ QUOTE ]

FEMA is a government run program that gets money from taxes, they are not a charity of any type, by paying taxes they are guaranteed aid. Granted some private businesses are donating things to help these people. But again that’s not really the topic I’m posting about.

I think we are reading this quote differently:
"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."

I read this as they are poor, majority black people that probably live in trashed out homes with crack dealers anyways, they should love being in the astrodome. It makes a statement to me that these people are “underprivileged anyway” so they are second class citizens and should be happy with the crappy setup they have.