View Single Post
Old 03-21-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: what\'s the next step

thanks to all that have replied, everyone has been most helpful.
the books i have read & are reading are:
lee jones, wllh.
2+2 books, hpfap, inside the poker mind.
and of course doyles book.
i've got turbo texas hold'em for my computer & i read anything i can find on the net.
i went from superfish to breakeven in a short amount of time after getting an education on position & starting hands.
i try to adjust to the tables, but over all play pretty tight(about 18-25% of hands).
i have noticed only a few differences between 2-4, 3-6 & 5-10.
there are are good, bad & deceptive players at every level so right now i have got the roll to play at the 5-10 games & as of now i am doing pretty good.
i have much to learn, but i think i have a decent grasp of the game & i am always learning something new every session.
right now one problem i have noticd is the "value bet".
it seems alot of times i may have the best hand all the way to the river & cards come up to make the flop "dramatic"(straight or flush card).
sometimes i may be losing $$ by only checking on the river, but i have been burned quite a few times by the river card it has made me very cautious. i have also lost extra bets.
the worst thing about myself i have noticed is being patient. sometimes boredom creeps in & i get a little loose, but i have got much better & am fixing that leak.
i have been playing fairly tight & the funny thing is though at most tables i could pass 3-4 orbits, come in with a strong raise & a lot of people will cold call even though i have not been playing many hands.
cha-ching$$
to me it seems the key to consistent winning is, table selection, poker knowledge(books & live play experience), deceptive play & patience.
i will soon post some hands when i run into questionable ones(happens all the time).

thanks again everyone,
the chode