View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Second Question

[ QUOTE ]
K9o is a hand that has substantial reverse-implied odds relative to its equity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely, and I understand that. If a King flops you have to be extremely careful to find out if someone else has a King, because if they do they very likely have you outkicked. The pf equity (allin) is a win/lose after all the cards are out; but as I know a decent MP/LP player won't be raising with K7 or K8 I can get away from it.

[ QUOTE ]
In some spots, you clearly miss and fold- oh well, that goes into the 80% bucket. In spots where you hit, it is ulikely that you will be adequately compensated if in fact you have a winner. But how easily are you going to get away from a flop you get a piece of?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why you need to play it. I think you win the "most" from the 9 hitting rather than a King as people play Kings with better kickers more often. It's an extremely valid concern. Nobody has yet said whether they play KT, KJ etc in this circumstance. We must be pretty close to the line here.

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, you have to win more than you lose in the hands you continue with for the preflop call to be +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
to be a nit, this is wrong because you already have 8 SB in the pot. So you need to win at least -7 SB on average, postflop, for the pf call to be >0 EV.

[ QUOTE ]
Unless your opponents are very bad, this is more easily said than done with a hand like K9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. I think I always fold K7 and usually K8 here (depending on the players). K9 and above I play in this specific scenario. I'd be folding it against an earlier position raise or for more than 1 extra bet.

I think the fact that you are a decent way ahead makes it definitely playable here at 7:1. In fact this hand shows one example of how the 9 alone may make the hand a winner.